The Assistant Flying Instructor Rating (AFI) course is designed for trained pilots to become flying instructors. This course consists of all the necessary training required to commercially teach and aid cadets in obtaining their flying licenses.
AFI Minimum Entry Requirements
- Letter of approval from the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia; this is secured by the applicant communicating their interest in the applicable course, their requisite medical certificate and their existing and valid CPL/IR and qualification to CAAM.
- An existing and valid Malaysian Commercial Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplane)
- Pass medical examination Class I with a requisite certificate from a CAAM designated medical examiners, applicants are advised to check CAAM website directly for an up-todate list of such designated medical examiners.
- English Language at minimum level 4 is acceptable but higher competence is desired.
Applicants for the Flight Instructor course will have to pass a specific pre-entry flight test with a FIE within 6 months preceding the start of the course. This pre-entry flight test shall be based on the proficiency check for the class and type ratings for the aircraft used for the course.
GROUND TRAINING/ TEACHING & LEARNING
Ground Training and teaching & learning covers 125 hours of tuition and lectures on aviation theory subjects for AFI standards such as
- Basic Aerodynamics
- Navigation and Meteorology
- Aviation Law Flight Rules and Procedures
- Airframe and Engines and Instruments
- Instructional Technique
- Ground Subject Tests
- Mass Briefs, Pre-flight & Post-flight briefings
Flight Training consists of 40 hours dual on Single Engine Plane (SE) and FNPT II Flight Simulator.